Click on one of the FAQs below to jump to the answer:
- 1) How fit do I need to be?
- 2) How old do you have to be to come on the tour?
- 3) What attire/shoes do I need to wear?
- 4) Will food/toilets be provided?
- 5) I’ve heard the midges can be awful in the highlands?
- 6) Will we be able to see views from the top?
- 7) What if it is raining?
- 8) What if I need to cancel?
- 9) Is there a minimum number for the tour to run?
- 10) Will someone be taking photos?
1) How fit do I need to be?
While Munro Bagging is considered hill walking, we do require a basic level of fitness. The route is approximately 7 mi and has an incline of over 1000m. With that said, we take plenty of breaks, and the tour will go at the pace all of the ‘baggers’ are comfortable with.
2) How old do you have to be to come on the tour?
We require all ‘baggers’ to be at least 12 yrs, and accompanied by a guardian if under 18 yrs. We have no upper limit as long as all baggers feel confident in having a basic fitness level and have no restrictive medical conditions as outlined on the liability waiver.
3) What attire/shoes do I need to wear?
- Boots or trainers (will get dirty, potential for bog)
- Athletic bottoms (long sports leggings, trackie bottoms-no cotton sweatpants, shorts or jeans)
Recommended (weather dependent):
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof over trousers
- Hat/Beanie (or snood)
- Fleece or Thermal top
- We have a very limited (but growing) stock of used equipment to borrow. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
4) Will food/toilets be provided?
We will be providing Scottish snacks and a stop for lunch to purchase. We will be making a pit stop for toilets just before reaching the mountain, otherwise the great outdoor toilet is at your disposal!
We will be stopping for dinner to purchase on the drive back in Tyndrum.
5) I’ve heard the midges can be awful in the highlands?
June, July, and August are midge season, however they are the worst at the car park, so as long as you aren’t standing still too long, they are not a massive problem. If you are really worried about midges, you can use repellents such as Smidge, or alternatively try Avon Skin So Soft, which is rumoured to deter the wee beasties.
6) Will we be able to see views from the top?
While there is always potential for magnificent views from the top of the munro and ridge, the weather changes very quickly in the Highlands, and we cannot guarantee a clear day. We may have a good idea of what the mountain forecasts will be like in the morning, but that can also change. With that said, the fog can move very quickly and sometimes goes as quickly as it comes.
7) What if it is raining?
The tour will run rain or shine as long as the weather conditions are not dangerous. Depending on the forecasts, we may go to an alternate munro of the conditions are vastly different in our alternate route location.
8) What if I need to cancel?
We understand that circumstances/travel plans change, so we request that if you need to cancel, you do so by 3pm the day before for a full refund. After 3pm we can refund 50% of the cost.
9) Is there a minimum number for the tour to run?
We require a minimum of 2 people for the tour to run.
10) Will someone be taking photos?
We will do our best to provide a photographer, and occasionally a drone (weather dependent), but we cannot guarantee a photographer on each tour. Photos/media will be available on our Facebook page after the tour.